Ruthven was built between 1719 and 1721 on a mound just to the south of the River Spey. The mound had previously been occupied by a medieval castle, which was laid to ruin in 1689 by Graham of Claverhouse, who attacked the pro-Williamite garrison there. The newer structure consists of two three-storey barrack buildings each capable of accommodating 60 soldiers. A protective curtain wall enclosed these blocks and was complimented with two square turrets, which doubled as the Officer accommodation and provided space for logistical functions (including bakehouse and brewhouse). In 1734 a stable block was added, reflecting the preference of General George Wade, who had been appointed Commander-in-Chief of North Britain in 1724, for more mobile dragoons (mounted infantry) in outposts such as Ruthven. The dragoons were “…to serve as a convoy for money or provisions for the use of the Forces as well as to retain that part of the country in obedience”.
Following the government victory at Culloden on 16th April 1746, Lord George Murray marshalled the remaining Jacobite forces at the barracks and attempted to rally them for the next stage in the campaign. However, Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) was defeated and issued the order "Let every man seek his own safety in the best way he can" and so ended the Rising of Forty-five. The barracks was never rebuilt.
LEGO Ruthven will next be on display as part of our huge model The Jacobite Risings: The Fight for Britain’s Throne at Stirling Castle over December and January.